Source www.molendatabase.nl

This mill was built in 1742 as a western string mill for the 1860 hectare polder Wieringerwaard. The Wieringerwaard was after the Zijpe second dams of significance, founded in 1610 by dams and allotment of the Zijpe and the old land bordering tidal area. Until 1613 its drainage was concentrated on a rectangular Kolkje located at the dike at the end of the Molensloot, the site of the existing mill and pumping station. It this churning out times water could expire at sea through a sluice. Initially, only two, later four corners of the vortex mill.

Only in the second half of 1613 are mentioned four mills and called The New Mill, The Southern Little Mill, The North Little Mill, and The Great Mill. The last three were most likely to come from the Zijpe. There they were abandoned and passed in 1610 by the drainage of the bosom of discharges through sluices.

In 1613 was located in the large lock in the north-eastern corner of the polder, a fifth, constructed entirely separate standing new mill. Around 1620-1622 created by unification of the two drains a vast atrium, which could discharge into the sea through two locks. In 1620, another moved westwards one of the four spaced mills in the east and in 1625. Only on the north-western and south-eastern corner of the chamber stood a mill. From 1625 to 1741, the number of five mills, their location and method virtually unchanged.

It is remarkable that one of the two mills remained at their old place had two paddle wheels. Because this software were not favorable, it was decided in 1637 to renovate the mill and now only be equipped with one wheel.

In 1642 was mention of such a change to the mill at the large lock, this winter and lower mill service could do, and summer and ironing mill could afmalen the raging sea. Apparently this was not the right solution, because in 1682 it was decided to once again take a test with this mill, or by so remodel him that he could do as iron mill service to the chamber. The problem here, all in all it was revealed that the five mills or in the polder were properly draining, but they often had to cease operating because by high outdoor water could not walk down the raging sea. This was again due to the higher will be the outside of the dikes and the diversion of drainage Zwinnen or gullies.

In 1741 it was therefore decided to build a string mill so as to, if the height of the water level outside of that requirement, to be able to afmalen the swirling at sea. This plan was the possibility left open to later be able to build a second iron mill. The western iron mill, the still existing mill Hope, beginning in 1742 was completed. Already in 1747, the second iron mill was built. Simultaneously with the construction thereof to Kolkje was standing among Western mill decommissioned and, after still having served as kalkhok demolished. From that moment the pumping of Wieringerwaard was provided by four vice-mills and two upper or iron mills.

On July 12, 1783 burned by Miller debt among the displaced mill in 1625 westbound off. Rebuilding took place because was not proven that the two iron mills the water is not as fast as could spread through the sluice to sea as the three remaining mills under the milled into the chamber. A fourth precious new mill would disrupt the delicate balance even more and therefore have only a limited beneficial effect on the entire drainage. By the resolution of May 13, 1788 it was decided whether to demolish what remained of the burned mill and closing the entrance of the mill tour to the chamber.

In the context of improving the drainage was in 1844 on a trial basis the converted remaining eastern mill under the former Kolkje of schepradmolen to mortar mill.

That went so well that in 1852 also under the other two mills were vervijzeld, and in 1860 the eastern iron mill and in 1865 followed the western iron mill. However, the interest in steam drainage increased and so it was decided to proceed with the construction of a pumping station, the pilot grind took place on December 30, 1871.

With two augers equipped husband could directly uitmalen at sea, leaving the mills and the chamber lost their function and could be lifted.

The two iron mills were sold for demolition in October 1872, under the provision that the West should be maintained to be arranged to plant or traffic. Under these conditions it was a few weeks later, on November 28, for ƒ 1005 - sold to C. Posch to be converted into a flour mill. The middle and eastern lower mill were sold for demolition in 1873, the western below mill just bought in 1875

The mill was purchased in 1880 by C. Edelman Zn. for his son J. Rezelman Czn.

In 1901 a portable and auxiliary power at the mill was placed, making the booking company could be continued still in still air. It is replaced by a diesel engine in 1920, which did so well that the windmill is made in that year out of order. Since then, he served only as a shelter for the time mechanized company, which gradually emerged in later years. The company will purchase in 1961 by the Cooperative Society Ensign, Barsingerhorn, who is now in heavy decaying mill for the symbolic sum of ƒ 1 - sold to the polder Wieringerwaard. The latter transferred the mill in 1979 the municipality of Barsingerhorn. Since its restoration in 1964, the mill is put back more or less regularly in operation.

In the early 20th century there was a reel cross is contained in a cast iron haspelkruisas dating from 1864. In 1904, two half iron reel cross rods herein were set which were from Verhaeghe to Ruddervoorde (Belgium) and Groningen a millwright were provided zelfzwichting. Beginning in 1905 the iron rods back to the youngster for repair and had to after being made the yield ring itself has been changed slightly again. Good luck one has not had the half iron rods, because again roebreuk took place on April 12, 1916. Following this axis and rods were purchased from a circa 1915 demolished mill Bovenkerkerpolder to Ouderkerk and these were placed in the Hope in October 1916. Instead of the new axis wind was pierced by steam power. The upper shaft was using the portable through the ongoing work made to spin, a rather special event. The buitenroe is again equipped with zelfzwichting on that occasion.

During the restoration in 1964 the zelfzwichting been replaced by the old Dutch wick system.

Originally there was a strut capture but was later changed to a Flemish catch. Black smoked of the octagon and the traces of paintwork on display downstairs that the mill has been inhabited in the period 1742-1872.

After being sold in November 1872, the mill is equipped to mill. Most likely, is hereby also provided a pelwerk, as it is well known that were sold in October 1888 railway wheel, disk, etc. walk from the mill and in January of the following the pelzolder was entertained to storehouse for wheat.

Originally the mill was equipped with three couple on the floor at one time seat located millstones, namely a couple 17der, a couple 16der and a couple small rye stones. However, the latter are removed quite early.

In 1901, a portable arranged as auxiliary in a building at the mill. This could drive the pills under both large flocks of stones by means of a long drive belt. After 1920 took an elevator to the grinding grain for the first loft, also collapsed attic. There were still a bump and an oats crusher site. Mill Gears, spindle and wheel track has been removed and burned in World War II. In the course of time is a part of the business activities in the main part is housed, and ceased all activity after the sales in 1961. The mill was then dismantled and the mill demolished completely empty.

During the 70s it was already dilapidated mill externally restored and turning skills; years, a new interior was made subsequently, which the mill was again grind.

On January 23, 2007 it was determined that the upper shaft was broken. This probably happened during the severe storm of January 18, the axis is 'turned the neck' as it were, but linger; the sails continued to undamaged and could later be safely hoisted down.

The mill has been restored in the summer of 2008 with a new upper shaft. On this occasion the sails again became Old Dutch opgehekt.